SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Thursday, July 02, 2009

HOW MUCH TIME DO WE HAVE?

I saw the clock (above photo) as I walked up the stairs from 33rd Street Station Downtown (Subway #6 Lexington Line) after my visit to Hunter College on 68th & Lexington (on Friday, May 8, 2009). I originally selected the title "Do you have the time?" for this post to go with these photos. Then the recent passings of well known people, two just turned 50s, reminded me that we are living on borrow time. You never know when the time is up. So I changed the title of this post to "How much time do we have?".
Also during my visit in May, my sister and I went to the Wall Street area because CH wanted to take pictures of the Bowling Green Bull. We passed by the Sports Museum of America located at 26 Broadway. I was willing to pay the admission fee just to see what they have in the hockey section, but the building was closed due to financial problems. So I took photo (above) because I like the clock in the lobby.
The clock below was at the corner of Sterling and 7th Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

You could tell I like taking photos of clocks in public places, particularly at town squares, train depots and along main streets. I don't collect clocks or purchase them like my husband. There are about 10 different clocks in his office in various designs of automobile parts such as tires, steering wheels or in the shape of golf bag and antique radio. Some Chinese (Asians) associate a clock with death or a reminder that time is running out. Each ticks signal the last moment of life is near. So be advised, do not give a clock as a gift to an Asian person for his/her 1st wedding anniversary, and definitely not as birthday present. You might well say "I wish you were dead" while the person blowing out the candles on the birthday cake! I don't believe in any of these silly supertitious or beliefs, just passing on the information on cultural etiquette.
Above - Clock by the train depot in Pacific, Missouri.
Remember to enjoy each moment, treasure each memory and plan for the future but don't worry too much that you might miss living fully in the present.
Above - Clock by the train depot in De Soto, Missouri and display of clocks (below) with 10 different time zones around the world in the Stan Musial Grill at Missouri Athletic Club in Des Peres, West St. Louis, Missouri.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails