SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

THE CYCLONE IN CONEY ISLAND

The Cyclone, a cultural icon of Coney Island, always evokes a sense of nostalgia, of wonderful childhood memories and excitement in grown-ups. According to The Big Onion Guide to Brooklyn, the Cyclone dates from 1927, and is the last working roller coaster and one of the few wooden roller coasters in America. I never was fond of roller coasters. The one time I went on a ride at a park in Michigan in 1991, I bit my lower lip so hard that by the end of the ride it was bleeding and I had to be taken to the First Aid station. I could not talk for the rest of the day and even today my husband still remembers as the most peaceful and nicest day in our 20 years of marriage!
Coney Island = Amusement Park, Thrilled Rides and bumper car-ing at the Eldorado Auto Skooter. Riders must be 42 inches tall to get behind the wheel.
Not for the faint of heart, a ride on the Cyclone will keep the riders on the sidelines 180-degree turns 6 times, 12 drops from 85 feet at a 60-degree angle, 16 changes of direction and 27 evalation changes. It definitely would not be a pretty sight if I dared to go on a ride, especially after eating a Nathan's Famous dog.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails