SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, January 19, 2008

IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

"Couldn't get that Christmas song off your head?", my husband asked when he heard me singing the tune "It's the most wonderful time of the year". My husband forgot that his wife is a sports fanatic and my excitement had nothing to do with Christmas. Actually, it's one of the most wonderful times of the year because the NHL All Star is scheduled on January 26-27. The following Sunday, February 3rd will be the Super Bowl XLII with the New England Patriots trying to capture their 4th Super Bowl victories and Eli Manning of the New York Giants trying to get his first Super Bowl ring.

Since I could not attend the NHL All Star, the above photo I took during practice when the Red Wings came to St. Louis, would have to do as four of the Detroit Red Wings players were selected to be on the Western Conference team, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Osgood and Zetterberg. Perhaps next year we could plan a trip to the NHL All Star weekend to celebrate my birthday. That is a wonderful idea!
The Super Bowl is a re-match between the Patriots v. the Giants from the game on December 29th. It was supposed to be a meaningless last game of the season but turned out to be the most watched (more than 79,000 fans packed into the Giants stadium for the finale) and special televised sport event because the Giants fans would love to see their team stopping the Patriots from closing in on a 16-0 season. I was in NYC at that time and after dinner with my sister CH, we went back to my brother, VL's home. VL graciously let us have complete control of the television in the family room so we could watch the game without interruption. I was so nervous when the Giants took a 28-16 lead but calm down when the Patriots cut the deficit to 28-23 on Brady-Moss 4-yard touchdown pass. Brady two-point conversion was good but it was a risky move.

There'll be parties for hosting
Marshmallows for roasting
And caroling out in the snow
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories
Of Christmases long, long ago
OK, so there are no marshmallow for roasting or caroling out in the snow since the Green Bay Packers were eliminated by the Giants. The Packers fans frozen in the stands (it was 3 below at the start of the second half) when Lawrence Tynes nailed the field goal in overtime to send the Giants to the Super Bowl. Just hope Aaron Rodgers will have a chance to start next season for the Packers. Nothing against the legendary Brett Farve, but let young Aaron proves his skills on the field. Let's forget about the ghost stories of the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The new chapter is about the New England Patriots with 18-0 record, with 1 more to go on February 3rd to complete the greatest story in the NFL history.

It's the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle-belling
And everyone telling you
Be of good cheer
It's the most wonderful time of the year
For now, I will not make any predictions or how many points will be scored between the two teams. I'll just be of good cheer, for both my beloved New England Patriots and my hometown team New York Giants. Whatever the outcome, my heart will be glowing watching the Super Bowl from the comfort of my living room.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails