SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, August 28, 2006

CRUISE CONTROL

"Cruise-Paramount split" the report about Paramount ended the 14-year business relationship with Mr. Tom Cruise, one of Hollywood's most bankable movie stars, took up the entire front page of the business section in St. Louis Post-Dispatch. CNN reported the story as Breaking News and the discussion about this break-up dominated the evening news.

I have enjoyed movies starring Mr. Cruise and thought he was a good actor and a decent person. I don't have any opinion about his personal life or his support of Scientology. To me he is only an entertainer and not someone I need to know beyond the characters in the movies. While I don't hold anything against Mr. Cruise, I could not understand why the story about his personal life or business deals should be considered "breaking news" or worthy to be on the front page.

Our service men and women are risking their lives defending freedom, serving America and the rest of the world. The fighting in Lebanon and Israel is sadden for those of us who could not understand why countries don't resolve their problems without killing each other. People of New Orleans are still recovering from Hurricane Katrina, working hard rebuilding their lives and their great city. Around the world, there is so much suffering, yet this business relationship is worthy more of attention. I guess if I was an employee of Mr. Cruise, I would probably have a different opinion.

I have changed jobs a few times and the announcement never became breaking news. Come to think of it, when an employee leaves a current job, he/she should give two weeks notice so the employer could have time to find a replacement. If an employee does not give 2-week notice, it would be considered unacceptable and he/she would never receive a decent recommendation or the supervisor would not be willing to serve as a reference. When I left my job in Michigan, knowing that we would be moving to Missouri, I informed my employer far in advance. I notified my boss and provided him with 6 weeks notice. I helped trained my replacement and gave her my home phone number in St. Louis. I maintained a good relationship with my former boss to this day.

However, when the company decides to terminate an employee or the entire department being eliminated, there would be no advanced notice. There would not be 2-week notice or any kind of assistance. And if there is any offering, the options would not be so attractive. My brother, T, recently loss his job working at the Internal Revenue Services (IRS). He was offered to move to Boston or Philadelphia but he chose to stay in New York. I am sure not everyone could just pack-up their belongings and moved out of their comfortable environment.

Come to think of it, nothing could be more dramatic than what our family and thousands of Vietnamese people did. With the clothes on our back, we crambled into little boats, no real naval equipment, yet we crossed the ocean and survived. When someone asked me how bad a situation at work is, I always respond, "I survived the communist, the boat ride, made it in New York, this is just a piece of cake". So, for those fans out there, don't worry about Mr. Cruise being unemployed. I am sure it would only be a few million dollars, a dent in his fortune.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails