SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, November 12, 2006

THE INVISIBLE WOMAN

It happened again last Friday evening as I was waiting in line at the bank. I stood by the sign, "Please wait here for the next teller" while Linda, the bank teller, finished helping a drive-through customer. I have been going to this bank the last five years and Linda knows me well. Over the years, I noticed Linda always wore different pins with angels on her blouses or jackets. Last week I gave Linda a pin with an angel I found at a local art and craft show. Linda was appreciative.

A customer walked through the door, passed by where I stood and proceed to Linda's window, as if I was just standing around for no purpose. Linda gentle told the customer that I was next. I told Linda, loud enough for the rude customer to hear, "I guess I am invisible." The rude woman stepped away from the window without apologizing.

This is not the first time that someone treated me as if I was invisible. I don't want to play the race card but the only conclusion I could draw from these incidences is because I am a short Asian woman. Somehow that would give others the assumption that I would not speak up or object to their rudeness. After all, Asians are supposed to be nice and not confrontational.

Last March my sister and I was on a Western Caribbean cruise. It was an Italian cruise line. The passengers on the ship were mostly Europeans (Italians), Canadians and Caucasians (Americans). We noticed that the cruise personnel provided better services to the Italians and ignored the rest of us. A few times when my sister and I spoke up and pointed out the low level of service, the crew as well as the passengers acted surprised at our demands. Perhaps they did not expect the two Asian women to be outspoken.

One instance when I tried to take photos of the display of ice sculptures, a tall East Indian man walked over, stood in front of me as if I was not there. I firmly told him that he was very rude and that he should move. He gave me an angry look but decided to move when I made known that I would not be intimidated.

Perhaps not because I am a short Asian woman that people treated me as if I was invisible. It seems that people don't have the common courtesy or just being ignorant when it comes to minding their manners in public. I remind myself not to let others' behaviors bother me. I understand I have to choose which battle to fight and hope that the next asteroids that hit the earth will eliminate only the people without manners. In the meantime, I should sign up for a talent show under the name "The Invisible Woman".





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails