SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, February 25, 2008

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS

When the dog bites, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things
and then I don't feel so bad!

Borrowing from the song "My Favorite Things", a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music, when Maria sang with the von Trapp children during a thunderstorm, these are a few of my favorite things when I had to stay in door because of the freezing temperature and slippery roads.

My husband loves to tell the story how he saw an old locker about to be discarded, thrown into the dumpster at work and asked if he could have it. He took it home, fixed the broken lock, painted it and it became our Red Wings locker. We keep ticket stubs, game notes and sports related items in the locker. The plastic boxes on top of the locker contain my husband's hats. CP has over a hundred hats as he always adds more to the collection from places we travel to. The hat on the side of the locker was from Alaska, appropriate look of the wilderness. Next to the locker are the ticket holders which are to be used with appropriate sports, Hockey Hall of Fame or Detroit Red Wings when we go to the hockey games, Superbowl XL when we go to football games and World Series when we go to baseball games.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eye lashes
Silver white winters that melt into spring
These are a few of my favorite things!


There were no girls in white dresses but plenty of snowflakes and freezing temperature when we waited outside Ford Field Stadium in Detroit for Superbowl XL. We were so excited because it was our first Superbowl and for poor people like us, it would be once in a lifetime experience. We still laugh about a man in the seat next to us that he looked like "Tony the Fist" from the Godfather.

The above Yao Ming jersey was an attendance prize from a conference I attended in Chicago with my sister back in 2005. When the raffle number was called for a prize of Yao Ming's shirt, I did not pay much attention. Then my sister CH looked at the ticket and told me that it was my number. Thinking that it was just a lousy t-shirt, I was pleasantly surprised that the prize was actually an autographed jersey, with certificate of authentication of Yao Ming signature. A person at the next table tried to offer me $150 to which I responded, "Bidding starts at $1,000". The next day I checked Ebay and found that similar item was sold for $350. I had a photo of me wearing the jersey but it was so long that it looked as if I was wearing a dress!
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Here is another example of my husband's handiwork. We purchased the reproduction of the new Busch Stadium for only $15 (original price was $75) because the right bottom corner was a bit dogeared. CP found the frame for $20 at an estate sale. We had to purchase the two small frames for the tickets, the first World Series game in the new Busch Stadium. Added the two pitcher's helmets, blue from the Detroit Tigers and red from St. Louis Cardinals, the total cost was just a little over a hundred dollars.
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things!
Well, I don't have anything that has flying wild geese on it. The elephant below was a gift from my brother VL when he went to India on a business trip. Look closely inside this elephant, you will see a smaller elephant and another smaller elephant. All three elephants were carved from one stone. I would love to see how it was done. It is sad that people who have such talents could only peddle their art works to tourists for a few dollars while a handbag with the name of a famous designer printed all over (no artistry there) would sell for hundred of dollars.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails