SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, December 20, 2008

ZUZU's PETALS

"I want to live again. Please God, let me live again." George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life (1946).
For those who are familiar with the American classic movie It's a Wonderful Life, "Zuzu's patels" was what George Bailey said with great excitement when he found the petals he hid in his pocket when he told his daughter Zuzu that he had "fixed" the flower so that Zuzu would stay in bed and go to sleep. George was so happy that he was back to living, back to the life he thought he did not want to have or wish he had never been born. George was also so happy telling Bert, the policeman who was also his long time friend, "my mouth is bleeding". The petals and the blood on his lips were the symbols of recognition and appreciation for what life is about as George Bailey realized that despite what he thought was the worst thing that happened to him, taking one's own life was not the answer. George thought his life was not worth living and that he should never had been born. Through the help of the lovable angel 2nd class named Clarence, George saw how the community and the world beyond his neighborhood was positively impacted by his generosity, kindness and how many lives he directly or indirectly saved by a few simple actions. In this alternative world, George was given an opportunity to see that he made a big difference in the world.
George Bailey with the look of desperation and hopelessness we all could relate to at some points in our life. Like George, we all have great ambitions to see the world, to save mankind, to be famous, to be powerful, to be successful. Somehow our dreams never became reality because like George we have to sacrifice for our family (like my Dad started working as an errand boy at the age of nine to help his family and had to quit school after 5th grade so his younger brothers and sisters could continue their education), putting off our big dreams, accepting less or settling because we thought that was all we could expect. Or someone with good intentions like the board members at the Building & Loan when they placed the condition that they would vote against Mr. Potter only if George himself run the business. Like George, we all have big plans and were ready to "shake off the dust of Bedford Falls, go to college, become an architech and design famous bridges, skyscrapers". Like George, there was time when I thought my life was a massive failure, "worth more dead than alive" or "better off dead". I wondered what difference does it make whether I was born or not and what difference have I made in the world. Am I just like the "oxygen thieves", taking up space without any useful purpose or real benefits to society? What would I see in the "alternative world" where my family members and people I knew did not recognize me because I was never born? What if instead of being born into the world of a Vietnamese-Chinese female, lived under Communist controlled system, endured the horrid journey as boat people, survived months in the refugee camp and started a new life in New York City, I was a Swedish-Canadian hockey player with the Detroit Red Wings and won a few Stanley Cup rings? Would I appreciate freedom and what America has provided to a refugee like me and never take things for granted if I did not have those life-changing experiences? Watching the movie at Christmas time has become a tradition for us because we want to remind ourselves what George Bailey finally realized that he is "the richest man in town" and that life is worth living.
A few years ago I bought the above can of popcorn because It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorite movies. The popcorn was not that good but I kept the can and placed items such as plane tickets when I moved to Michigan, plane tickets when I flew to NYC for my Dad's funeral, a note my sister wrote to me after my hospital stay due to a blood clot, a dried single rose my husband gave me and other sentimental pieces that are representation of events in my life. Each time I add a new item, I looked thru those already in the can. It is kind of my own on-going time capsule. I remind myself that life is a picnic, you take the sunshine, the rains, the flowers and the bees, and all the hamburgers and all the tofu hotdogs!

1 comment:

Salabencher said...

I have watched this movie hundreds of times. As a child me and my brothers and sisters would watch it every year, and then some.. I also have a Zuzu story. I was reading the paper years ago when I was a teenager and saw that the remaining living cast from Its a wonderful life would be at a local Target signing books and calendars. (Sans Jimmy Stewart)

I went and had a calendar signed by Zuzu. She was an older woman and very nice. I saved the calendar for many years, finally giving it away to my sister I believe? It was just sitting in a drawer all of those years.. but a cool experience.

I have to admit, Mr. Potter was my favorite character in the movie, he had so many cool lines...

Merry Christmas you scurvy little spider!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails