SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, June 17, 2012

PHARAOH'S FURY

Saturday, June 16th - It is a beautiful sunny day with glorious blue sky just like in these photos I took a few weeks ago at the festival.  I walked around saying hello to those helping at various booths as fundraising for non-profit organizations.  I know most of the volunteers from working together at previous community events.  "You are just like a typical politician", my husband said to me after my "tour" of public obligations.  Normally, I would be flattered by such comment.  However, given the current state we are in (incompetent leaders, disregard for human lives and shameful behaviors in government), both in America and around the world, I should feel insulted by my husband's comment!
I thought the title "Pharoah's Fury" and the photos of the ship swinging back and forth are sort-of appropriate to describe my recents weeks.  We had a successful event on Thursday.  I got to the office at 8:30 a.m., drove to the Banquet Hall at 2:30 p.m. to get ready for the event starting at 5:30.  It concluded at 9:45 p.m.; I loaded up the after-event stuff into the car and got home almost midnight!  Unlike the previous workplace where I handled most of the arrangments, there were many other staff working that night.  However, I was expected to take care majority of the work being that the event was part of my job description. 

After two weeks of putting extra time (average 9+ hours everyday), I really look forward to going back to the regular schedule.  I am still trying to get used to being hourly compared to having always been a salary employee.  There is no time-clock to punch in-and-out, just an expection that I have to be at my desk by 8:30 and leave at 5:00 p.m.  At this point in my life, I don't really get excited about the overtime pay.  I would rather trade the money for time-off, not working on either Friday or Monday.  As I get older, a 3-day weekend has become more precious than an extra digit in the net income column.
I hope you all have a relaxing weekend.  Any big plans for July 4th celebrations?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails