SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, March 04, 2007

KNOCK KNOCK

After I learned that my nephew, JL started to tell knock-knock jokes, I went to the library and checked out a few knock-knock books. I found two books, one entitled, "the Best Knock-Knock Book Ever" by Charles Keller, illustrated by Jeff Sinclair and another "Doctor Knock-Knock's Official Knock-Knock Dictionary" by Joseph Rosenbloom, illustrated by Joyce Behr.

For a few days after I started reading the books, I constantly practiced the jokes on my husband. Either I don't have the knack of telling knock-knock jokes or we were too old to appreciate the jokes. After a day or two, I noticed my husband tried to avoid me whenever he saw me coming toward him. I must have the look as if I was ready to share another knock-knock joke. I am trying to remember the punch lines so I could share JL new-founded interest.

Being 990.7 miles (or 14 hours 36 minutes driving distance) from JL, I sure miss sharing these wonderful years when a child learns so many new things and begins to show the level of intelligence. Most of the time, I don't get to talk to JL when I called. I understand that it is hard to get a 6-year old to carry on a lengthly phone conversation. I just wish I lived nearby or an hour away, then I could see my favorite nephew every weekend!

I remember up to when JL was about 4 years old, my mother and my sister-in-law's mother cared for JL during the day. Both grandmas only spoke Chinese to JL. When my husband and I visited JL, there was a bit of communication problem occurred. My husband, CP is third-generation Polish American and he only speaks English. JL enjoyed our visit and we spent a lot of time playing games with JL. When JL tried talking to CP, it was evident that there was a language barrier. After a few times, JL recognized that my husband did not understand (Chinese), JL began using hand signals and body gestures trying to communicate with CP. I remembered fondly how JL taped CP's hand, then pointed at the sofa and at the television, to ask CP to sit next to JL at the sofa and to watch JL's favorite video tape of Thomas the Train.

A year later, JL began to attend daycare during the summer, later pre-k. At 5-year old, JL managed to speak both English and Chinese beautifully. I marveled at how easily JL switched from answering my mother in Chinese when she asked him if he would like to have something to eat after he came home from school, then in English shared with my husband what JL learned in school that day. I noticed that JL already used correct grammar and complete sentences in his communication. His enunciation was excellent and almost flawless for a child, better than some football/basketball players doing interviews on national television. I became more tolerant of parents and grandparents bragging about how smart their kids were. Now I have my nephew to brag about.

To JL, here are a few knock-knock jokes I have learned -

Ben and Don (Been there, done that)

Stan (Stand back, I am going to sneeze)

Kent (Can you help me with my homework?)

Hanover (Hand over the chocolate bar)

Luke (Look who is coming towards us?)

Until next time, Olivia (I love you) very much, JL.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails