SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, March 03, 2007

SELF WORTH FAIR DEALS

The article carried the headline "No love for Lovie" was about the Chicago Bears continued to brag their feet on the new contract for Coach Lovie Smith. "All I want is a fair deal," said Coach Smith about what was keeping the negotiations from reaching an agreement. At $1.45 million for the 2007-2008 season, Coach Smith would be the lowest paid coach after reaching the Super Bowl.

Supporters, myself included, questioned what else do the Bears need from Coach Smith to prove that the team need a coach who led the team to a 15-4 record, reaching the NFC championship and first Super Bowl appearance in more than two decades. Previously, the Bears won the Super Bowl Championship in 1985.

I had a similar experience when I had to fight for what I considered a fair compensation. In 1999, I decided to terminated my home-based translation business and began to search for a full time job. In addition to applying directly to the companies, I also signed up with temporary agencies. I was assigned to a position of accounting clerk at a local upscale family-own restaurant. I only needed a day of training in Peachtree (software for accounting) and after one week, impressed the owner (Mr. AG) by getting the system back on track. A month later, when the office manager quit without warning, I again accepted the challenge and kept the office running smoothly. I received many email and phone calls from vendors and customers telling me that the office had never been so efficient.

After three months as temporary employee, Mr. AG made me an offer of a permanent full time job as office manager. When we discussed compensation, Mr. AG offered me much less compared to the salary he originally listed with the temporary agency. Mr. AG explained that my resume did not include that I had experience managing an office. I responded that I had proved that I could handle the responsibility the last three months. Mr. AG commented that I focused more on the money than the opportunity to grow with his company. To this day, I still feel good thinking about what I said to Mr. AG, "It is not just about the money. It is about my self-worth and how much I am worth as an employee to your company." I never regreted not accepting the job for less than what I believe I should be compensated.

I am sure Coach Smith felt good this week when he and the owner of the Chicago Bears agreed on an extension through 2011. Coach Smith will earn about $4.7 million per season over the next five years, making him one of the highest paid NFL coaches.

My brother VL told me about his situation that he already reached the salary cap for his grade level in the company. The manager told VL that there would be no salary increase, though management did provide a bonus and an additional work-at-home day on the weekend. One of the VL entry entitled, "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" in which VL weighs the pros and cons of benefits of flexible work schedule and senority against the possibility of additional income by seeking employment elsewhere.

Many times in life, we have limited options when it comes to taking a job just to survive. As a refugee in the new land, my Dad worked as a dishwasher and a taxi driver to take care of our family. He never complained and always had a positive attitude. He also instilled in us that we must believe in our ability to achieve higher education and never accept anything less than what we believed was fair. I will always remember the words my Dad told us, "Your Mom and I sacrificed for you children. You know the language, you have college education and ability to reach higher ground, don't ever settle."

Remember your self-worth and never accept anything less than a fair deal.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails