SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, April 13, 2009

NEW YORK IS IN MY HEART

In a blog entitled "vanishingnewyork" by Jeremiah, there is a statement at the end of the page that reads "A New Yorker is someone who longs for New York" which I completely agreed. I am not sure if I could manage the fast pace of New York City like I did 20 years. After living in the Midwest, I would not want to trade my two-car garage, a nice backyard and plenty of parking space for the tight space and hectic flows of city living. Yet, New York is always in my heart because my family is there. Also because it was where I received my real life lessons "swim or sink", began a new life, learning English and the American culture, where my determination and strength were put to the tests as I worked full time while earning my college degrees. I still refer to New York as my hometown. The City always fascinates me with so many characteristics, history and ever changing neighborhoods of so many ethnic groups and cultures. Whether I would consider living in New York again, I am not sure. One thing I am sure that each visit will always have special memories and I will always long for New York, my hometown.
It was a special treat when my brother took us to this pier during our visit in December 2007. The above sculpture stands tall at 69th Street Pier at Bay Ridge Avenue. It emits a beam of light as a memorial to those who lost their lives during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
Look closely and you will see Statue of Liberty (left side of the screen) and most of lower Manhattan.
The 69th Street Pier is the community's key seaside recreation spot. It attracts fishermen from other boroughs to find great catch of the day. A great view of the Verrazano Bridge could be seen from the pier even on a not-too sunny day.
The Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which connects Bay Ridge to Staten Island, was completed in 1964. Prior to the construction of the bridge, commuter ferry service was operated between this Bay Ridge Pier and the St. George Ferry Terminal in Staten Island.

Bay Ridge is in Brooklyn, southwest corner of New York City borough. To get to Bay Ridge by subway, take the R train Brooklyn line, getting off at Bay Ridge Avenue, 77th Street, 86th Street or 95th Street stations. (Be sure to check for any latest changes of the lines as other trains might be rotated by the MTA instead of the R as published on the subway map.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails