SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, September 24, 2006

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK

"You must have a lot of free time", an acquaitance said to me during a luncheon meeting. She made the comment after I shared with her how I made the efforts to learn about the community when I first move to St. Louis. I explained that I picked up all the free community newspapers even the Seniors News. I believe that it is the best way to learn about issues that are not covered by mainstream media yet important to residents living in the community. I also mentioned that when I see an article or a business person receiving an award, I would send a note to the person as a way to begin or maintain the relationships.

No, I don't have a lot of free time. I just know how to effectively organize my time and set priority. I take care of things that are important and need to be done right away. I learn not to try to do all ten things if I only have fifteen minutes. I also learn to let the house get meshy for a few days. I set aside time to hand write notes and send by traditional mail (regular postal service). I still send my husband "love notes" to his office after 17 years of marriage.

I don't talk much about my work and community involvement to my mother and siblings. Because my husband and I do not have children and I make it known that I don't care for cooking, people always assume that I have a lot of free time. "Are you busy?", someone asked me last week when she called to ask a question related to residential construction. Sometimes I would give an answer such as, "I get paid for doing nothing at work." or "I am waiting for my nails to dry."

My work involved managing the office and membership activities for the Association. Phone calls to the executive director would get routed to me when he is not available. Setting committee meetings, Board meetings, and weekly account payables occupy my daily calendars. Organize golf tournaments ranging from 100 to 270 golfers and an anniversary party on the Eads Bridge for 400 guests are just a few projects that are part of my workload. At the Eads Bridge celebration, the Mayor of City of St. Louis presented the proclamation and there were many state representatives and senators attending.

This week I am working on putting together a bi-monthly newsletter, finalizing the details for a weekend retreat for the current and past Board members and their spouses. The retreat involves a Friday night dinner for 45 people and a Saturday night dinner for 30. Friday and Saturday mornings, with breakfast buffets, will be discussions about the future of the Association. The afternoons will be golf since it is part of networking and team building. The retreat will be at Lake of the Ozarks and I hope to relax and enjoy the fall scenery.

Upcoming events will be the annual Christmas Party and 40th Anniversary Gala for an estimate of 300 guests. In between these major projects are planning education seminars for the members and follow up correspondence.


In addition to regular office hours, I also attend Board and membership meetings that usually end around 9:00 p.m. There are weeks when my evenings are committed to Board of Aldermen meeting on Monday, membership meeting on Wednesday, training for Stephen Ministry with my parish on Thursday and weekends are reserved for football (college games on Saturday and NFL on Sunday). During commercials, I do housework, clean up my home office and catching up on reading the newspapers.

Whether attending meetings or being in the office, I consider the activities are part of a day's work. The most important thing is that there is a purpose and that I find fullfilment in how I spend my time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails