SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

THE SUPERHIGHWAY OF WORLD WIDE WEB

I finally purchased a laptop after almost a year since I asked my brother L for his advise. L shared with me his love of Mac computer and I learned that he hates everything Microsoft (sorry Mr. Bill Gates, not everyone loves your wonderful products). I have no opinion of the Mac because I only used a few times when working at various temporary jobs. I only learned enough to handle office correspondence. I am comfortable with Microsoft products and PC because that is what I used in all my full time office positions.

Most of the time I am being stereotyped as having the knowledge and the intelligence when it comes to computer. I guess I am not one of the Asian Americans who excel in computer, math, science, music or achieve perfect scores on SAT test. I know enough to use the machine or search for information on the web. I learned a few things along the way to trouble shooting some simple matters. Reading my brother's blog when he described his work or entries about computer, I could not understand a thing he wrote.

As I tried to set up my laptop to various components L advised me to have - docking station, wireless mouse and keyboard, I became frustrated because of the installations. I wish I could just open the package, connect the AC power adapter to the AC power jack and connect the USB cable to the docking station and the other end to a USB port to my computer. I even purchased a chillmat since I did not want my laptop to overheat. Hopefully the battery will not be recalled or causes trouble like Dell or Mac laptops. I learned that there is always a thing called "Installing the Device Drivers". I learned installations for the docking station, the wireless keyboard and house and the printer. I also learned that the cable for the Lexmark Z42 is not compatible to the port on my laptop. I had to spend almost $45 for a cable in order to use a printer that costs only $60 on sale!

There is a big question of how I should environmentally discard my old monitor. I checked websites of locations in St. Louis that recycle computers and electronic items. All the locations will charge either $15 for each monitor or 20 cents per lbs. I don't know how much the monitor weigh. There is no pick up service. The closest location is about half an hour drive from where I live or my office. (My office is about 15 minutes from my home.)

I remember a few years ago, a charity organizations set up in my church's parking lot for people to drop-off old computers. I did not have anything to discard then. I will try to find the best way to discard my old computer without incurring expenses. I know my brother L would want me to be environmental friendly person. I recently purchased a Shake Lite at $10 each. You simply shake back and forth the flashlight to generate light. The flashlight does not depend on batteries. It contains a magnet and produces its own power when being skaken back and forth.

Did I mention that I also signed up with Charter Communications for high speed internet service? It is so much better than the dial up we used to have. I just hope I don't get run over trying to get on the superhighway of the World Wide Web.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails