SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, September 23, 2006

CONFESSIONS OF A RUNWAY MODEL

No, I am not a runway model. I never was. I thought the title would be catchy because of the recent news about the banning of chopstick skinny models in Spain. Other countries including the United States plan to follow the lead. This issue has been around for a long time. We all know that the fashion industry set an impossible standards for average women who want to look good in the same clothing worn by the models.

In 1992 I received an award from Federal Express. The company sent a markup artist, a professional photographer and a representative to take my photo for the company's magazine cover. The photographer mentioned that a modeling agency in Grand Rapids, Michigan was looking for an Asian model and he suggested I send a photo to the agency. I did and the following week I accepted my first modeling assignment.

It was nothing glamorous. I had extra makeup, different hair style and a few different outfits for a local department store. I was paid $150 for two hours of standing still and trying to look pretty. Other assignments following were a training video for Amway Corporation and another employee orientation video for Upjohn Phamarceutical Company.

All of the modeling assignments did not require a beautiful face and a body with all the right measurements. My husband always tells me that I am beautiful. I know that I am average looking and with the right amount of cosmetics and a little of dress up, I could be considered attractive. I am aware of men looking my way at social events and have received a few flattering compliments. For a middle age married woman, I tried not to wrap up in the physical aspects. I am not like some women who are gullible when other compliment that they are sexy or that they look so young.

Of course I could never be a runway model. I am only 5'3" and considered overweight. With a round face and a flat nose, I don't meet the standard requirement of exotic pretty face. What I don't care for is when someone calls me "shorty". I know other people, men and women, who are much shorter than me. When attending functions in the Asian American community, with my high heels, I could tower over many men. Of course, when standing next to my brother L, I am always short compared to his 6' frame.

At a recent event, a business associate touched the top of my head and said that I was so cute. I firmly told her that was very rude of her and that her behavior was inappropriate. I also told her that I was offended and did not wish for the incident to happen again. She apologized and repeated that her action was prompted by the fact that I was so cute. I firmly countered that her action was offensive to me.

As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Whether a person is skinny or well-built, short or tall, attractive or average looking, it is most important that we accept ourselves the way we are and not allow society, fashion magazines, television commercials or another person decides how we should look or feel about ourselves.

So here is my confession, I never was a runway model, I would never be a runway model. I am happy with being healthy, able to see, talk, hear and function without needing assistance from anyone. And this afternon I will pamper myself with two scoups of ice cream. It is my Life, and I will enjoy it. Go ahead, You should enjoy Your Life too.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails