SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, September 04, 2006

WATCH THE CLOSING DOORS

"There was little debate and no one showed up to protest", Mr. Jeffery Whitteaker, Mayor of City of Valley Park, Missouri said. The City Ordinance No. 1708, An Ordinance Relating to Illegal Immigration Within The City of Valley Park, Missouri, passed unanimously by the Board of Aldermen on the 17th day of July 2006.

The Ordinance began with "WHEREAS, the Board of Aldermen of the City of Valley Park finds that illegal immigration leads to higher crime rates, contributes to overcrowded classrooms and failing schools, and destroy our neighborhoods and diminishes our overall quality of life; and". You could read the rest of the ordinance on
www.valleyparkmo.org.

I find it interesting that in the Valley Park News Update report written by Mayor Whitteaker that "The high level of security and exceptional quality of life in Valley Park are reflected by the low crime statistics provided by the St. Louis County Policy Department." What about the higher crime rates caused by illegal immigrants? Did St. Louis County Policy Department overlook all the crimes committed by illegal immigrants? Low crime rate and Quality of life in Valley Park is still exceptional as of June 2006. Did high crime rates and the neighborhoods were destroyed by illegal immigrants 17 days later?

According to the article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Friday, August 4, 2006), the mayor who drives a truck for a local excavation company heard about the ordinance on the radio and thought it was a good idea. Yet, Mr. Whitteaker couldn't point to specific evidence about all the terrible things illegal immigrants have done to his beloved city. Valley Park, a city with population of 6,500 have received media attention and the mayor have been busy with appearance and interviews resulted from the passing of the ordinance.

"I knew it would be a big story," said Mr. Joseph Turner, a 29-year old activist with a proposal to target illegal immigrants. Mr. Turner, "a proud nationalist" said "I believe this country is superior and I believe our culture is superior to all others." I agree that America is the most blessed country in the world and I am grateful living in this great country. I am, however, not sure which culture or whose culture Mr. Turner is referring to?

These arguments have the same tone similar to the resentment in the late 19th century when the Chinese "coolie" were accused of taking railroad building jobs from Americans. The same sentiments have enticed communities to point at an old recliner or broken toilet seats in the front yard as illegal immigrants problems. Did anyone compared crowded apartments to mobile home neighborhood with a fancy name such as Magnolia Estates?

I believe we must have a sound policy on illegal immigration. I support controlling the borders and national procedures to manage illegal immigration. I am not an expert nor knowledgeable on this subject. I am a natural U.S. Citizen. My family arrived as political refugees and we immediately recognized as legal residents. As an Asian American, I was told that the law only target illegal Hispanic immigrants and that should not concern me. This kind of thinking reminded me of a comment made by a great uncle, "I don't care if the neighbor's house is on fire, as long as it is not my house."

I will continue to follow up on this story and plan to attend Valley Park Board of Aldermen meeting. I want to meet the people who passed the ordinance and to understand the importance of this law in the City of Valley Park. In the meantime, I will watch the closing doors and make sure the doors won't hit me since lessons from the past have proven that doors could swing both ways.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails