SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Exactly 27 years ago, my family and I left a refugee camp in Indonesia to begin our new life in America. After our horrid boat journey from Viet Nam, we spent seven months moving from a hut on one island to a barrack on another island. Thanks to an uncle, a cousin of my mother, who agreed to be our sponsor, we were approved to resettle in New York City.

We boarded a bus from the refugee camp to the airport. I don't really remember much of this trip or recall what went through my mind. I don't even remember boarding the airplane that took us first to Belgium. I remembered my Dad went to search for ice cream. We teased him that the plane would take off and he could have been left behind. He came back all smiling with the ice cream cone. Was it chocolate ice cream? I will remember to ask my mother who got to share the sweat treat. Probably my brother L since he is known to have a sweet tooth.

From Belgium, we boarded another plan to NYC. We finally arrived NYC in the evening. It was dark when we walked from the terminal to the parking lot where uncle P parked his car. A big snow storm came thru the day before. We were not prepared for the freezing cold and the snow piling high. We wore thin layers of clothes and worn sneakers. To this day, I still remembered the comical scene when my uncle tried to explain that it was safe and encouraged us to get on the escalator to the upper level to get to the parking lot. All six of us took the stairs even though we were so tired and hungry.

When we arrived at uncle P house, his wife was so kind to have dinner ready for us. I remembered looking at the bowl of soup with big chunks of meat and not sure if I was dreaming. After seven months of canned sardines, ready-to-eat noodles and steamed rice, we shamelessly ate all the food put in front of us. Of course, my parents had to be polite, control their hunger and instead of eating, keeping the conversation with uncle P and his wife.

After the feast, we all went to sleep in the basement. The next day, we went to the refugee agency to fill out the paperwork. We were provided a bag of decent winter clothing and $200, and that was the beginning of our new life in America 27 years ago.

Along the way, we overcame the language barriers, adapted to the new culture and became productive citizens. Our American dreams were realized thru hard work, earning college degrees, professionals employment and home ownerships. I am so proud of my sister and brothers. I only wish my father was still living so he could enjoy the fruit of his labor.

To my family, Happy Anniversary, we have done good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails