SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

NFL PLAYOFFS

(Note: This entry was started on January 16th and I was not able to complete and publish until a week later, January 23rd.)

My sincere apology to all of my adoring fans who have been patiently awaiting for an update since my last entry about the St. Louis Cardinals Winter Warm-Up. Because of my full-time job and evening commitments, I am unable to update my blog until the weekends. As you are aware that the last two weekends were filled with exciting NFL playoffs schedule.

A few years ago during a visit to NYC, while enjoying a NY Giants game, I yelled out, "They should go for a 2-point conversion to tie the game and try to win with a field goal". My brother L, without realizing that his eldest sister has become a football fanatic, made a comment, "She talked as if she knew all about the game."

Yes brother, I knew all about the game, the teams and the players and I love football. My love of sports began with going to soccer games with my Dad while growing up in Viet Nam. My fondest memories will always be the time my Dad and I yelling at the players and the referees during the deciding games. In junior high, I also enjoyed playing basketball and table tennis (ping-pong). My love of sports (soccer) transferred to ice hockey when I started watching the games with my husband in 1996. Under the legendary coach Scotty Bowman magical transformations, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 1997 for the first time in 42 years. The next year in 1998, the Red Wings swept the Washington Capitals to keep the Stanley Cup in Motor City. After this back-to-back victory, the Red Wings won its 10th Stanley Cup in 2002, its third title in six years. Scotty Bowman decided to leave the ice rinks as the most winning coach with nine Stanley Cup rings.


When did my love of sports turn to American football? I don't remember how it started, but in 2002 after watching Adam Vinatieri kicked the 45-yard field goal in a heavy snowfall with 27 seconds left in regulation to tie the game against the Oakland Raiders, my love for the New England Patriots and American football began. It was Vinateiri again in Superbowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams, with his 48-yard field goal giving the Patriots a 20-17 victory. Two years later, he did it again with a 41-yard field goal and only 4 seconds left to win over the Carolina Panthers. The new dynasty started.

That is why it was so hard to watch the matchup last Sunday between the Indianapolis Colts v. the New England Patriots. Vinatieri signed a 5-year deal with the Colts beginning with the 2006-2007 season. The previous weekend was fun because I did not have to split my cheering between two teams. It was also fun to watch Vinatieri helped the Colts to its victory with his five field goal kicks over the Baltimore Ravens without a touch down from Peyton Manning. The Colts won 15-6 over the Ravens.

The game between the Patriots and the San Diego Chargers was not as exciting because both teams made too many mistakes and the Patriots were sloppy including Tom Brady throwing three interceptions. The Patriots won 24-21 over the Chargers.

I was only half interested in the Chicago Bears v. the Seatle Seahawks game. The Bears won (27-24) advanced to the NFC title for the first time since 1988. We saw the Seahawks defeated by the Pittsburgh Steelers last year at the Superbowl XL in Detroit. Running back Deuce McAllister 134 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns and rookie Reggi Bush outstanding performance helped the New Orleans Saints defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 27-24. Last weekend, Bush's 88-yard touchdown catch and dash to the end-zone did not help the Saints as they were eliminated by the Bears 39-14.

I bravely went to work this morning to payoff a friendly wager to my co-workers for picking the New England Patriots and the New Orleans Saints as the teams advancing to the Superbowl XLI. The Colts defeated the Patriots 38-34 and the Bears defeated the Saints 39-14.

Here's to the better team to win the Superbowl XLI championship. If you ask me which team I personally will cheer for, my answer is, "the Vinatieri team"!

1 comment:

Qaptain Qwerty said...

Did I really say that? I have no memory of it, but I'll take your word for it. Wow, this blog entry sounds like something straight out of the sports page, weekend review edition. It's good to be passionate!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails