SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, January 22, 2007

MAKING HISTORY - SUPERBOWL STORIES

Congratulations to coach Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears and coach Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts and their teams advancing to the Superbowl XLI.

The headlines the last two weeks were about Smith and Dungy being the first black head coaches to meet in the NFL's biggest game. I don't know neither coach and I am sure they have no idea who I am and that I am writing about them. Though our paths never crossed, I have admired coach Smith and was sincerely happy when he left the position of defensive coordinator to St. Louis Rams and became the head coach for the Chicago Bears. I shared the sorrows and the pains coach Dungy and his family experienced when his son unexpected took his own life in 2005. I have great respect for coach Dungy for his faith and his commitments to community services.

In a small, very small way, I have something in common with the coaches - making history as the first Asian American woman to break through the racial barriers. Back in 1993, I was selected as Outstanding Career Woman of the Year by the Professional Women Network of Western Michigan. I went on to represent the local chapter in the Statewide selection. The selection included group activity, individual presentation and in-depth interview. I was not chosen to go onto the next level which was to represent the State of Michigan for the national award. Ironically, the national convention that year was to be in St. Louis, Missouri where my husband was promoted and transfered to a subsidiary the following year.

There are many times in my life when I was told because I speak English with an accent and being Asian American, I am not "management materials". In her book entitled, "Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling - Careers Strategies for Asians", Ms. Jane Hyun explains that Asian Americans are recognized for their work ethics, as a well educated workforce, however as supporting staff but not qualified leaders in executive positions.

Last year, the Board of Directors at my workplace conducted a special retreat to discuss long term strategic plan as the Association celebrated its 40th Anniversary. The plan includes 5-10 year expansion in labor contracts, additional membership programs and succession planning for when the executive director takes his retirement in 10 years. I was told many times that if something serious happened to the executive director, I would handle all matters until a decision was made by the Board of Directors.

Giving the history of labor union and specifically construction industry, I would be the first woman and the first Asian American ever to sit at the collective bargainings negotiation table. When I shared this thoughts with my husband, he commented, "I don't have any doubt of your ability. Unfortunately, no matter how good you are, the only thing going against you is you are a woman."

The NFL "Rooney Rule" requires that a team must interview at least one minority candidate when there are openings for coaching positions. Since then the process has generated opportunities for minority coordinators and resulted in the current seven black head coaches. I believe that coach Smith and coach Dungy would not want the focus to be about their race or the extensive coverage only because they are African Americans. The focus should be on their coaching abilities, and that they have worked hard to earn, and not given, the chance to reach the highest platform of NFL - the winning coach of the Superbowl championship.

I don't believe in preferential treatments. I will continue to work hard and prove that I am the best person for the job. There will always be roadblocks, prejudice, and limitations. I will create my own opportunities just like the way my family through our own strength and courage, created a new life in America.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails