SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, January 06, 2007

HAPPY BLOGGING

Thanks to my brother L who provided the technical support and comforted me to overcome my fears, I finally started my blog in August 2006. It took a lot of nudging from L the first few weeks, then I was off running and never looked back. I am pleased to report that I have been a very happy blogger.

Again thanks to L, I learned that TIME magazine named all the people who after a long day of work or a tough week of hard work, instead of watching popular television shows, enjoying their weekend activities, spending time on their computers, updating their webblogs, MySpace, YouTube etc. - PERSON OF THE YEAR in the special issue of December 25, 2006-January 1, 2007.


I probably will not be well known like the Book Reviews Lady or the Korean housewife turned citizen reporter or earned more than a few dollars from AdSense. I recognize that I would not be the most widely read blogger and I don't really have solutions to offer to solve problems in the world. Somebody wrote in the Wall Street Journal that "blogs are written by fools to be read by inbeciles". Just to be sure, I look up in the dictionary to find the definition for imbeciles (stupid person). As the character Sam in the movie, "Ghost", once said, "The Wall Street Journal is a frustrated old man" and I add, "who could not accept what he could not understand".

Blogging has changed my life. Writing blog entries has allowed me to have a voice. I enjoy writing and blogging has helped me putting together the story of my life. I enjoy reading and blogging gives me an outlet to share my brief version of book reviews. Most importantly, reading my brother's blog has re-established the connections between us. Living more than 600 miles away, with work, family and other commitments, we don't have the luxury to share what's going on in our lives. I look forward to reading L regular entries. I felt close to my brother. I appreciate what he is doing for our family, at his work and through his volunteer activities.

I have learned a lot about the vocabulary of blogging. For example, the word "moblog" is combination of "mobile" and "webblog" to mean blogging through mobile devices such as cell phones etc. It has nothing to do with mobsters or the Godfather! And the behind-the-scenes network tool called "ping" that notify search engine or directories that the blog has been updated. I don't write about heavy subjects because I don't want to be one of the bloggerheads who are in heated disagreements.

Andrea J. Lee, an author and consultant shared her advice on how to create a self-imposed deadline of writing a book without going insane - get a blog. The blog structure allowed Lee to write each post as a chapter and to receive comments through blog environment without the stress of writing in the traditional route. After thirty posts, the birth of a book was born. Lee's blog is at www.andreajlee.com.

For now, I am a happy blogger, putting my thoughts into words, seeing my writing published, knowing that at least one person - my brother L - is reading my blog, is good enough for me and that is what matters. Is it what life is about? Happy Blogging to all the good bloggers!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails