SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, November 09, 2008

HELLO PENGUINS

"My husband will take you in one round," I said to the man sitting in front of us who wore a Penguins jersey. The man was not happy after I tormented him with a previous comment, "Nice patch", pointing at the Stanley Cup Playoffs patch on his jersey, "but the Red Wings won the Championships." The man turned around, angry look in his eyes, then raised his fist to my face. I did not back off, "I am not afraid of you, loser. My husband will take care of you." Turning to my husband, I offered words of encouragement, "Go ahead honey, teach this loser a lesson." Well, it did not turn out too good as the man stood up and he was about 6'4", 250 lbs or more. A security guard heard my yelling and approached the man. As the man explained to the security guard what happened, I decided to run as quick as I could to our car, leaving my husband far behind, also running.
OK, I was just kidding about the above story. I did torment a few others Penguins fans sitting nearby. I pretended that I did not know and asked what the patch was about and who won the Championships. These photos were taken when the Penguins came to St. Louis on Saturday, November 2nd. The game was well-attended as the fans wanted to see Sidney Crosby (#87 - photo below). Only 21 years old and already being named captain after his first year in the League. A lot of talks even before Crosby was official drafted by the Penguins about how good he would be, predictions that he could be the greatest hockey player and how the NHL future will depend on Sid the Kid.
We already saw Crosby at Game 1 of the Stanley Cup on May 24th. A couple we know who are also hockey fanatics (they are loyal St. Louis Blues fans) were at the game and the wife had the flu, yet she did not want to miss seeing Crosby. Their seats were in the next section to our left and the whole time she had to be covered with blanket, shaking because of the chill and constantly blowing her nose. When we left at 8 minutes into the 3rd period, the Blues were losing 3-5, yet the sick woman was still there. Talk about one crazy hockey fan!
As mentioned in a previous entry about a hockey player named Satan but pronounced as "Sar ten", not Sat'n. #81 full name is Miroslav Satan (Slovak Republic). Satan was with Buffalo Sabres, during the time when Dominik Hasek and Michael Peca were there. It would be most fitting if the next team Satan goes to would be the New Jersey Devils!
Ever saw the face of Satan? Make sure you don't look directly in the eyes of Satan!
I could never understand why the announcer has to request that fans (mostly men) remove their hats during the singing of the National Anthem. I thought it is a given, you don't need to be told. It is common sense to show respect to the flag and our nation. Some people argue that because of the negative actions by the government and they disagree with what is being carried out by the current administration, and that is the reason they did not remove their hats or also turn their back to the flag. I have always thought that we should always respect the flag and be proud of our country, separate from grievances against the government. I also don't appreciate people talking during the national anthem. What could be so important that these people could not wait for a few minutes? I took the photo below because I thought of the election on November 4th, and the direction our country will be heading in the years ahead. I said a prayer asking for God's blessings and may God has mercy on us for the foolish things we have done.

1 comment:

Salabencher said...

I don't know much about hockey, but I did meet Mario Lemieux once. I was working at Bern's steak house in the wine cellar, giving tours etc. Many famous people would come in for dinner since its a Tampa landmark.

Well Mario came in with a bunch of people and I gave him a tour and he gave me a twenty dollar tip! Very nice guy..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails