SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Friday, November 13, 2009

IT'S FRIDAY ON THE 13TH DAY OF NOVEMBER

I don't have an opinion about Friday the 13th or whether it is good or bad luck to do something on the 13th. In general, I am not a supertitious person. I don't walk under the ladder because I don't want something from the top of the ladder, such as a bucket of yellow paint like in the above sculpture by J. Seward Johnson, to fall on me. I don't believe that if you open an umbrella inside your house or indoor, it would be bad luck, I just don't want to break a nail opening an umbrella! I don't care to run into a black cat only because I am not a cat person and a black cat is not something pretty to look at. One time I pulled the number 13 waiting in line at the post office and then the shipping cost was $6.66 - both the postal clerk and I laughed about such coincidence and nothing bad happened to me that day, week, or month. So believe what you want to believe.
Here is what I found from Wikipedia "Friday the 13th occurs when the thirteenth day of a month falls on Friday, which superstition holds to be a day of good or bad luck. In the Gregorian calendar, this day occurs at least once, but at most three times a year. Any month's 13th day will fall on a Friday if the month starts on a Sunday. In 2009 this applies to the months of February, March, and November. The next year to have three Friday the 13th dates will be 2012."
This is kind of interesting since there has been so much talk about the year of 2012 that this will be the end of the world. I would not want to know whether this is true because hopefully by 2012, I should accomplish my lifetime goals of seeing all the NHL Original Six home games (I would not mind seeing a Canadian team, either Toronto Maple Leafs or Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup before the earth or the ice rinks crashing down) and perhaps going to a Superbowl game again to see my beloved New England Patriots win another championship. So if 2012 is the end of the world, so be it!
"The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia,[1][2] a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (Παρασκευή) (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (δεκατρείς) (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía (φοβία) (meaning fear). The term triskaidekaphobia derives from the Greek words "tris", meaning 'three', "kai", meaning 'and', and "deka", meaning 'ten'. the whole word means three and ten. The word was derived in 1911 and first appeared in a mainstream source in 1953.[3]" these words of wisdom according to Wikipedia.

I did not take any photos of cats, so I post the above sculpture "Ricardo Cat" by Niki de Saint Phalle, a French artist. It is on display at Laumeier Sculpture Park.
Below is a photo of my shadow on a giant red ball in front of a store. I remember when I was a kid in Viet Nam, we were told by the adults that we should not play with our shadows like making gestures or making shadow animals with our fingers because we would have nightmares such as being chased by ghosts or monsters pulling us down into the abyss!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails