SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Friday, November 26, 2010

FRIDAY "OLLIES" SKY

We stopped by Ollies Station Restaurant in Redfork, Oklahoma last October. When I saw the model trains on display, I immediately thought of my nephew, JL and wishing I would be able to take him along on our roadtrips. Here is what is written by the owner Joe Gilling, on the official website, "People long for the food they grew up with. That's what Ollie's cuisine is all about. Our food is cooked and seasoned like Mom and Grandma would prepare it. We have a comfortable "mom and pop" atmosphere. The old cafe style is enhanced by the railroad motif. Ten running trains, from G-scale to Z-scale, run the length of the dining room and through scale model cities and towns. Our walls and shelves abound with railroad memorabilia. Ollies is located in old downtown Redfork on a corner that's been here since 1894. Railroads, oil wells, and the famous Route 66 all merge at Redfork Corner to give young and old a touch of history and some of the best food in Oklahoma. Thanks for being our guest!"
My brother, VL, informed me that JL no longer is interested in trains. VL commented that kids grew up so fast. I guess that is a good thing that JL has developed new interests and that his mind has expanded to other things. That is part of growing up and having different views about the world around you.
When I was a kid in Viet Nam, I wanted to be a journalist/teacher when I grew up. Later, after the boat trip, followed with 7-month in the refugee camp, I vowed that after paying off the debts to the people who paid for our places on the boat and getting my family settled in America, I would work as a volunteer for World Vision. I even thought I would go back to Viet Nam to over-throw the communist government. That was me being youthful and full of foolishness!
In 1984, I was inspired by Jean Kirkpatrick (U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations from 1981-1985) and by a professor at Hunter College who made arrangement for an internship, I changed my dreams to becoming a United Nations diplomat. In 1987, I met my husband, fell in love, got married and moved to Grand Haven, Michigan. Now, at 50, I "pick cotton" to earn a living and plan my schedule around hockey and football games. So much for dreams and be all you can be!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails