SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, December 11, 2006

HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE

I don't know who started the so-call "Holiday letters" or "Braggin' letters" stuffed in with holiday cards.

Friends and families who send us their letters usually brag about how well the children do in school, good grades, honor classes their gifted sons and daughters are in. Others wrote about their vacations, with photos to prove that they were there. (With photoshop and all the hi-tech gadgets, I am not sure if the people really visited the Pyramid or just cut and paste themselves onto a postcard!)

So here is our braggin' holiday letter. 2006 has been a good year for us. There are so many blessings that we are thankful for, our family, good health, decent employment and peaceful living condition.

I celebrated my 45th birthday in February with a trip to the Superbowl XL in Detroit. The Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Seattle Seahawks to capture the Championship. My husband and I were so excited to attend our first game (and probablly the only Superbowl tickets we could afford to purchase). For any serious football fans, the Superbowl is the ultimate dream. I would love to be able to attend the game in 2002 when Tom Brady and Company led the New England Patriots to a shocking win over the St. Louis Rams. Again in 2004, the Patriots captured their second Championships over the Carolina Panthers and the third time defeating the Philadelphia Eagles.

The following month (March) I went on a week-long cruise to the Western Caribbean with my sister V. We had a great time and it was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn more about my sister and how she has grown to be an independent woman with strength and convictions.

In July, my husband and I took a week-long driving trip to Colorado in the T-bird. I helped drive the 7-hour straight road through the State of Kansas on Interstate 70, going West, into Colorado. We saw a lot of cows, corn fields and flat farm lands as far as the eyes could see. Once we were in Colorado, C did all the driving, especially the twist and turn going up to Pike's Peak, all the way to the summit at 14,000 feet. At 9,000 feet the snow and rain started. At each turn, the signs, "Falling Rocks" and the stiff cliff next to my window, reminded me of the horrid journey by boat from Viet Nam. Except now I do have more to live for, a retirement fund, investments in stocks and many earthly possessions.

We also drove the T-bird on the Royal Gorge Bridge, the highest suspension bridge in the world, hanging at 1,053 feet above the railroad tracks and the raging Arkansas River. There was a sign the middle of the bridge, "No Fishing". The park rangers must have a good sense of humor.

In October, we attended Game 3, the first World Series game in the new Busch Stadium between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Detroit Tigers. The Cardinals captured the World Series championship and the City of St. Louis rejoiced.

That is the summary of our 2006 activities, here, there and everywhere. We hope 2007 will be another good year. Perhaps in next letter, I could write about the Detroit Lions winning the Superbowl or the St. Louis Blues winning the Stanley Cup!

Here is good wishes to people everywhere and peace to all nations.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails