SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

LUXURIES OR NECESSITIES

"Stuff. Do you really need it or just want it?", the article in USA Today (Friday, December 15, 2006) started with the question I have used as a guideline before I make purchases.

Very often we purchase a new cool item because other people have it. We convince ourselves that we really need the item and that the item is a necessity as we could not live without it. Another reason is to prove that we have achieved the level of wealth by becoming an owner of certain item, i.e. the Cadillac, the designer handbag or a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

Here is a comparison of what I consider necessities or luxuries compared to information according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted last month.

91% of the people in the survey think that a car is necessity. I agree with this response because living in St. Louis, I must have a car. If I lived in New York, I would be among the 8% of the people who consider a car is a luxury or would not want to have a car because of insurance and crimes.

Clothes washer and dryer are a must for me and these items are necessities (90%). I was surprised to read that 63% considered dishwasher a luxury. One of these people must be my mother because she uses the dishwasher as storage while I could not live without mine.

Living in St. Louis with its humid weather in the summer, every house must have central air conditioner. Late July and August and early September, the temperature could reach 95 degrees. No one would purchase a car without air conditioning. I am sure it is different if I lived in Alaska or Montana.

68% considered microwave a necessity. My mother would never agree with this. It would be a crime if she found out her delicious eggrolls are warmed up in the microwave. The only correct way to warm food is to use the oven toaster according to my mother.

51% consider home computer a necessity while 67% consider high speed internet a luxury item. Prior to September 2006, I would agree with this statement. Now, I could not live without my laptop, wireless keyboard and mouse and I refuse to go back to the dark day of modem.

Pauline Wallin, a clinical psychologist, pointed to the cellphones as the perfect example of a gadget infiltrates our culture. 49% of the people consider cell phone a necessity while exactly the other 49% consider a luxury; yet 74% of the people responded to the survey have cell phones. Whenever I forgot my cell phone at home, I felt so vulnerable and almost paranoid that something bad could happen to me and I would have no way to get help without my cell phone.

In 1995, I obtained the first cell phone for emergency protection while attending evening classes at Saint Louis University. After that the phone became communication tool to let my husband know when I have business meetings in the evening or running late for an appointment. Later to check what else was needed for the house while I was in the grocery store. Now we use the phone to find each other in crowded shopping malls or to decide on what's for dinner.

There are two items on the list that I still have not become a slave to, Flat screen or plasma TV and iPod. I am trying to cut back even though I don't spend a lot of time watching television. I usually watch hockey games, Sunday football and educational programs such as Discovery Channel, History and the Food Channel, especially The Secrete Life of ... with Jim O'Connor.

It is ironic that the items I currently consider necessities (computer, cell phone, television) were meaningless when I was living in the refugee camp. Back then, we only need food and shelter to survive. I wonder with the wealth he already obtained, what items would someone like Mr. Bill Gates consider luxuries.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails