SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Sunday, December 10, 2006

'TIS THE SEASON OF GIVING

This weekend my husband and I made our first trip to the mall for holiday shopping. The last few years, we decided that we would give each other small inexpensive gifts and save the fund for a nice summer vacation. When we first got married, at Christmas time we spent a lot of time shopping for a total of 13 kids. My husband came from a big family of seven. I used to drag the hours when the kids tore up the wrapping papers, went thru each present without caring where the presents came from and robotically thanked everyone before rushing away to play with the new toys or to plan their shopping based on the gift cards received.

Later, our giving policy was simplified thanks to the popularity of gift cards. Another policy was no more Christmas gifts when the kids graduate from high school. This year, we only have to purchase presents for three kids under ten years old. For my nephew J, I usually send a check and ask my brother to purchase something J would like. Throughout the years, I would send J something when I found items I thought J would like and not waiting until the holidays.

At the risk of being a Scrooge, I consider gifts giving during the holidays an obligation and not necessary thoughtful and caring gestures. I am not suggesting that we should not give or exchange presents as a part of the celebration. I am simply saying that don't make gifts a major big part of the holidays.

I notice that fragrances are one of the big sellers and easy selections for men to purchase for their women. I could never understand the attraction of fragrances bearing names of famous people such as Ms. Paris Hilton or Ms. Britney Spears. A $65 bottle of fragrance by Estee Lauder would make me smell nice but definitely would not make me beautiful as the brand name on the label. Who would care whether I pay $25 for a handbag by an unknown manufacturer or Coach's $250 purse?

There are about three major shopping malls within 20 minutes of driving distance from our home. As previously mentioned many times that I don't like shopping whether to make purchases for myself or anyone else. There are times when I would not go to the malls for three or four months. When I do feel the urge to do some serious shopping, I would go by myself. I do not want to make my husband waiting with the other husbands sitting around the benches in the mall. Even though my husband told me that he would not mind waiting, I prefer to shop by myself.

Sunday newspapers are packed with advertisements and many offers of discounts. Some stores offer no interests on monthly payments until January 2008. Television commercials bombared viewers with jewelries and gift giving ideas such as a Mercedes or a Lexus that costs over $30,000. A brilliant marketing idea this year is the necklace with six diamonds to replace last year three diamonds of past, present and future. This year the six diamonds necklace pendant symbolizes a journey of love. I wonder what next year would be; perhaps nine diamonds as a symbol of eternity of the relationship since the pronounciation of nine in Chinese is similar to the word forever. Then why stop at nine, what about 10, 100. Maybe one diamond is enough as the saying goes, "Diamond is forever" whether just one or 1000.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails