SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, November 07, 2011

FROM SAVANNAH WITH LOVE

That is right - I took these photos during my visit this week to Savannah, Georgia. (It was the reason why I am behind with blogging, trying to catch up with new posts.) My sister moved from NYC to Atlanta in September. I thought it would be nice to see where she lives and I would love to see Savannah again. We attended a conference in Hilton Head, South Carolina in 1998. After the conference, we drove to Savannah and I immediately fell in love with the city.

I flew into Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, picked up the car rental and drove to Atlantic Station where my sister lives. CH lives in a modern "Live, Work, Play" area. The next day we drove to Savannah. It was a four-hour drive but a simple route to follow. We took I-75 South for about an hour and then merged onto I-16 East for about 2.5 hours, right into Savannah.

I am going to borrow a few words from the Official Visitor Guide to describe this beautiful city and how it captured my heart. The moss-draped trees, the lush, tree-filled squares (all 27 of them), the picture-perfect cobblestone streets, the history and mystery in the architecture that were well preserved, and so much more that would give visitors a memorable experience of the Old South charm and its exquisite beauty.
We strolled the city's streets, stopping at the city squares to learn about this grid-like model of urban planning, homes, churches and businesses around each square, each with its own distinctive style. My sister pointed out the Moon River Brewing Company at 21 W. Bay Street. She explained that Savannah's only brew pub was the location of a Ghost Adventures where the crew was locked down for the night and did have a paranormal experience.

We had a full schedule while in Savannah. I even managed to attend a 7:30 a.m. Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. After a walk along the Riverfront, lunch at the Cotton Exchange, Da Sistas enjoyed a 45-minute carriage ride around the Historic District. More about our dinner at Paula Deen The Lady & Sons Restaurant in future posts. My 2nd visit to Savannah was wonderful as in 1998. The City has so much beauty, charm and I love learning more about its history. Savannah definitely is on my list of many more returning visits.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails