SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, January 05, 2009

THE DILEMMA OF BEING WIRE-LESS

It was no fun being wire-less. For about eight days I did not have wireless network connection on my laptop. I had to bring the laptop down to the basement and connected directly to the router. In the summer with typical St. Louis heat, it was nice to be in the basement where it was cool. Not in the winter because I was freezing as well as uncomfortable without my docking station connecting to the regular keyboard. To make matter worse, my husband came down with a cold thus unable to assist me. Later between my husband and my brother, we spent over an hour without positive results. We kept getting messages such as "no such IP address or network unavailable". My brother suggested a Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter. I purchased the adapter and attempted to perform the installation by myself. I followed all the steps in the instruction leaflet. First I inserted the Setup Wizard CD-ROM, then connected the Adapter into a USB port when prompted by the Setup Wizard. After putting in the WEP key needed for connection, then the passphrase, I got a message, "Congratulations! Setup is complete". Well, it was not really completed. I still received a message telling me that there was no wireless connection available. I decided to shut down the laptop as it was getting late. The next day to my surprise, I had wireless network connection on the laptop. I wish I knew what happened so I could share with others or at least know what to do the next time. It was not a joke after all, if your computer does not work, just close Windows or shut it down, walk away and it will work when you turn it back on.
Without internet connection, I decided to organize the CDs and photos from our recent Mediterranean vacation. Photos above and below were from Tunis, Tunisia (Africa). Those columns could be communication towers and the stand below would serve as a nice stand for laptop usage. There was enough room for a cup of coffee and a biscotti.

I don't see any wires for cable connection here. Photos above and below were the broken fragments of sculpted marble and stone at the Forum in Rome. While others were busy taking photos of remains of palaces, Arco di Tito (the triumphal arch erected in AD 81), Tempio di Vesta (the original temple dedicated to Vesta, the goddess of the hearth), the tour guide noticed and asked why I kept pointing my camera to the ground. "What kind of photos are you taking?" he asked. I told him I looked for remnants that would be different from everyone else photos. I am no professional photographer, but look through the guidebooks or books about ancient Rome and you might see these same photos. I specially like the photo below with the pretty purple flowers growing next to what once was an elegant grandeur of Roman architecture.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails