SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Thursday, January 29, 2009

IF I WAS A SEA LION

If I was a sea lion, I would not have pay someone to teach me how to swim. The instructor was very kind and encouraging even though my feet and arms coordination was terrible. I explained to her my fear of not able to feel the bottom of the pool. I could swim only if the water is not over my head when I have to stand up when I need a break. If only I would relax and don't think too much about when to turn my head side to side. I thought how similar with living my life and my weekly swimming lessons. I know the instructor is nearby, there are lifeguards around, the lane that I am in is only 4 '6" deep. All I have to do is stand up and the water is only up to my chest. Yet, my body is so tense with fear of drowning. How many times in life we are afraid of the unknown, afraid to take action, to apply for another job, to go back to school, to speak up, all because we don't think it is safe or something bad will happen?
This week, when the instructor asked if I wish to move over the next lane, I responded yes confidently. Half way down the lane, I looked up and saw "6 ft" on the side of pool, suddently my whole body just paralyzed and turned into a big rock. The fear of drowning took over, I started flapping my arms and feet like a frighten turtle, except I did not have a shell to hide. The instructor put out her hand, calm me down and I was able to finish my lesson with drinking a minimum amount of water.
Just like the time when I was floating fine until I saw the instructor on the side of the pool, I realized she no longer holding me, I immediately sunk to the bottom!
I just hope next week lesson will be better or I will be the worst student among six years old swimming class.
These photos were taken last summer at St. Louis Zoo.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Swimming is wonderful. You will love it once you get the mastery of it. My father taught me to swim when I was only four years old, and I have loved it ever since. The more relaxed you are, the better your swimming will be.

Have fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails