SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Friday, March 11, 2011

2011 LENTEN SEASON

The Lenten Season began on Ash Wednesday, March 9th. Lent is a time of conversion and spiritual renewal. All faithful Christians are called to seek repentance, fasting, almsgiving and turning away from practices that might be sinful. Lent is the time of preparation for the celebration of the Easter mysteries.

I went to 8:00 a.m. Mass on Wednesday because there was a work-related function in the evening. I had a few errands to take care of in the afternoon but no one pointed out that I had “something” on my forehead!

I did not know about the earthquake in Japan and tsunami until after the 8:00 a.m. Mass on Friday morning (March 11th) when the lector asked for prayers for those affected by the disaster. Later, as I watched the sea overtook the land, it made me feel as if the world was really coming to the end.

After dinner, we went to church for prayer of the Stations of the Cross.

These photos were taken during our Westward adventure on Route 66 in July 2010. This giant cross stands just south of I-40 Exit 112 on Highway 295. The newest religious monument, built in 1995, is located in Groom, Texas, and called the “Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ”. At 190 foot tall (19 stories), it is billed as the “Largest Cross in the Western Hemisphere”. The complex also includes statutes of the “Stations of the Cross”.
FIRST STATION – Jesus is condemned to death (Mark 14:61-64)
SECOND STATION – Jesus carries His cross (John 19:14-17)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails