SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Friday, July 24, 2009

GETTING OUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66

It just occurs to me that I should stop saying that I should have become passionate about the history of Route 66 earlier. I no longer wishing that we could have completed driving all 2,448 miles of the historic roadway from Chicago to California. It is not too late that after 14 years of living in St. Louis, that I just recently became a Route 66 enthusiast. I re-discovered the main road in my town, the road I travel daily is the historic Route 66, yet I never saw all the signs along the roads. Suddently, as if someone just put them up last night for me to embrace them and their stories as if a forgotten painting that was lost and now found.
We spent last weekend in Cuba, Missouri. We were there last month. All the years we did not know anything about the town, after our first visit, Cuba has become one of our favorite places to visit. We even stayed at Wagon Wheel Motel, an authentic Route 66 motel built in 1934. We saw the lastest Harry Potter movie at the "19 Drive In Theater". The next day after breakfast at Back in the Day Cafe, we attended 10:00 a.m. mass at Holy Cross Church. We continued our driving thru St. James, Rolla, Doolittle, Hooker Cut, Devils Elbow, St. Robert, Waynesville, got lost in Buckhorn and decided to turn back after Hazelgreen (taking a quick route on I-44 all the way home).
It is summer, it is traveling time to see America and for me, to embrace a new love affair, another passion, another obsession, just like hockey and football. Besides, hockey season does not start until October 1st, and now is the perfect time to get our kicks on Route 66. We are planning our next driving to Springfield, onto Carthage, Joplin, cross the state line into Kansas (only 13 miles of Route 66) and hopefully drive all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I continued to take photos of the road signs and other roadside attractions I have read from all the Route 66 books I was able to find at local libraries and a few I have purchased so I could make notes and don't have to worry about the due dates of returning the books. The photo below shows the well known Totem Pole Trading Post, at its current location on the west end of Rolla since 1977. The business was started in 1933 and has relocated a couple of times due to highway re-alignment.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails