SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

PLEASE PASS THE KETCHUP BOTTLE

Collinsville, Illinois is famous for its 70 foot catsup bottle atop a 100 foot tower, a restored tribune to Brooks Catsup. The town had a Catsup Bottle Festival on July 12, 2009. For more information about the Catsup Bottle and other roadside attractions, visit http://www.cruisin66.com/ or http://www.roadsideamerica.com/.
Built in 1949, recently was re-painted and restored back to its glory, the Catsup Bottle proudly stood and greeted all visitors as soon as they drove into town.

I reminded Benjamin not to stand too close to the ketchup bottle as someone might mistaken his eight strings of yellow yarns (or worse, his chubby fingers) for french fries!
True story - One evening after dinner, we all sat around talking and I was about six years old (living in Cai Tau Ha, Viet Nam) eating some sweet rice paper sprinkled with sesame seeds. I was rolling the rice paper into a cigar pretended to be smoking, then I started sinking my teeth into the rolled up cigar. My one year old little sister, CH, was crawling around on the big table, let out a bloody scream. Only then I realized that I "accidently" picked up, took a bite of her tiny finger, instead of the rice paper cigar. Honestly, I don't remember how it happened. More than 40 years later, CH claimed that the incident still caused her nightmares!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails