SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, July 06, 2009

HUMOR OF THE WEEK & THREE MORE QUESTIONS


I drove by, I saw, I captured the above sign while riding along in the T-bird near MO-30 (Old Route 66) in St. Clair, Missouri. The sign was located in front of an old roadside grocery store.


Here are three questions for this week - (All questions were randomly selected from the Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.)


Question #155 - Would you be willing to make a substantial sacrifice to have any of the following: your picture on a postage stamp, your statue in a park, a college named after you, a Nobel prize, a national holiday in your honor?


Answer from TOTA: First, I need to know what kind of substantial sacrifice. As long as it does not involve pains, humiliations, any forms of sufferings, be that physical or mental, or any kinds of torture. Second, here is my thought process in making my selection - I don't want my picture on a postage stamp because the traditional letter writing or sending cards has been the thing of the past. When was the last time you write a letter or even a short note to anyone? Even sympathy notes are being sent by "cold and impersonal" email - no one takes the time to go to the store, purchase a nice thoughtful card, hand write the address, put a stamp on the envelope and drop off in the mail box.


I don't want a statue in a park because pigeons tend to leave their "stuff" on statues. A college named after me would probably not last every long since someone has more money and power could decide that their name should be on the building. My maternal grandfather (Che Cung) was the only person I knew who gave a big chunk of money to build a school and refused to have his name on the building.


I used to have high respect for the Nobel prize until it was "conveniently" given to an individual who conveniently wrote a book and lectured everyone about the environmental responsibility and yet this person conveniently lives in a mansion and flew around in private jet, leaving carbon footprints while shamelessly presented himself as someone who tried to save the earth. The Nobel prize is just a conveniently political meaningless award.

So my selection would be a national holiday in my honor because it would take place every year. Most likely no one would care who I was and why a national holiday named after me but they all would be glad to enjoy the day off. Just like Memorial Day and Independence Day, there are only a few flags being displayed in my neighborhood. The holidays have lost their meanings and the people don't take the time to appreciate the men and women who gave their lives so we could live in freedom and enjoy the liberty.


Question #22 - If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt anyone you chose, would you?
Answer from TOTA: I am going to take the Fifth on this question. And if you wish to remain in your current employment, you should not answer this question either. If you so desired, know that stating your answer would be at your own risk!

Question #74 - Would you enjoy spending a month of solitude in a beautiful natural setting? Food and shelter would be provided but you would not see another person.
Answer from TOTA: Is this a trick question? Food and shelter provided and I don't have to see another person for a month in a beautiful natural setting without any harmful threats, where do I sign up for this? I could read books, listen to music and don't have to talk anyone - life is good!

1 comment:

Qaptain Qwerty said...

Definitely not the picture on the stamp thing. Nowadays you can upload your own photo and print out real, usable stamps for a small price, no need to do so at a substantial cost.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails