SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, July 18, 2009

HELL, THE DEVILS AND DEVILS ELBOW

These photos were taken in February 2006 when my sister and I went on a "Sistas Time" on a Caribbean Cruise. I am so proud of myself for being so clever and witty (ya, I am so full of it!) by posting photos from Hell, Cayman Islands, the New Jersey Devils and Devils Elbow, Missouri.

Not the real devils, only the New Jersey Devils hockey team - haa haa.
The original route into Devil's Elbow is now Teardrop Road. The name Devil's Elbow was given by the lumberjacks floating logs past a sharp bend in the Big Piney River. They cursed it as "a devil of an elbow".
The steel truss bridge was built in 1923 (photo below). The bridge still stands today allowing traffic to cross over the Big Piney River.
Photo below shows Benjamin at Hooker Cut (I assured him that I would not drop him again. And besides there was not even one vehicle passing by the entire time we were there. The road looked almost abandoned as it was featured in a twilight zone movie.) When it was opened in 1926, the 90-foot deep Hooker Cut was the largest rock cut in the United States. This section is now County Route Z.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails