SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

ONE WAY OR FINAL EXIT (THE VIEW)

On Saturday, November 27th we picked up my sister CH around 10:00 a.m. My brother VL drove all of us to Greenwood Cemetery to visit my Dad’s final resting place. A few years ago, my husband and I decided that we should also get a space for ourselves. We thought without children, who would care to visit our graves, so planning ahead for that inevitable exit would be practical. My husband was very pleased with the selection because he said we would have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty from where our niche was located (the view in the top photo). Well, you got to look at the bright side and find some positive aspects in all situations!
My husband and I got off at the corner where a florist was conveniently located. It used to be Mom and I would get the flowers but it has become difficult for Mom to get around using a cane for extra support. We bought the flowers, walked across the street, passed the gate into the cemetery towards the mausoleum.
We taped the flowers, one from Mom and one from all the kids, onto the space outside the niche holding the urn containing Dad’s cremated remains.
The first few years, Mom would cry and we all would shed tears, whenever we visited. Now after almost 10 years, we simply spent a few minutes in silence and then moved on. My husband and I held hand while we recited the Lord’s prayer, Hail Mary and prayed that God grant my Dad eternal rest.

“Hello Dad. It is me, your first born child and your sport buddy. I could not see you but I knew you are near. I could not see you but I knew you were there at the hockey games and other sport events with me. I still felt your protected arms when I was about 12 and we tried to get into a sold-out soccer game at Cong Hoa stadium in Viet Nam. I love the good times we had cursing at the players and the referees.
I also know you are watching over us, being us when we gathered as a family and taking care of us like you always did. Like Mom said when you were ready to leave this world that you had guided us and taught us well that we are able to take care of ourselves. You led the way to our escape from under the Vietnamese Communist, protected us during the boat journey, gathered every little piece of food in the refugee camp to feed us. And when we finally came to America, you worked at any menial work you were able to find to give us the opportunity to earn higher education, to obtain professional occupations and to achieve the American Dream.
You had taught us well. You provided guidance and lessons we needed to be productive citizens. We promise to make you proud and we know you are always with us. Rest well, Dad, we love you.”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails