Monday, July 18, 2011


The title of the song was supposed to be "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" but on Sunday, July 17th, as we were sitting in our seats at Busch Stadium waiting and waiting for more than 1.5 hours, I wanted to scream "I'll Go Crazy If Bono Doesn't Get on Stage Soon!" The concert started half an hour late at 7:30 p.m. with the opening act by Interpol. Bono and the guys did not come out until after 9:00 p.m.

The Claw was so big that you could actually see it from outside, far away from the Stadium. The top photo was taken from where we parked three blocks away. I said to my husband we should have brought our lawn chairs and listened to the music from across the street instead of paying for the full price tickets!

It was a sold-out concert with 53,000 in attendance. Hotels and restaurants in downtown St. Louis were packed. We were told the wait was 1-2 hours and it was at one of those "greasy cheeseburger" places that would normally be empty! It was a lot of fun walking from the garage to the stadium among the fans ranging from geezers like us to young people who could not be more than 20 years old but appreciate great music by U2. Bono mentioned during the performance that the last time he was in St. Louis was 30 years ago.

As you might already heard that the stage nicknamed "The Claw" was set up like a space ship with giant green legs supporting the Mother Ship when landed. Above is a good photo showing the crowd gathered around the stage. These people started standing in line on Saturday night to purchase General Admission tickets so they could be in the hot sun for 3 hours and endured 6 hours of standing (or dancing). The photo below was taken with my cheesy camera showing the stage and the space ship aglowed. The photo turned out pretty good and I like that the Arch was shown in the background.

You could read all about the concert and the hi-tech stuff at It was nice that the fans were allowed to bring in small personal cameras. (When we were at Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones concerts, no cameras were allowed.) I will be sharing additional images in future posts. It was a hot and long night but we had a great time. Once the concert started, everyone was on our feet. By the time we got home at 12:15 am, we were so tired. And It was a Beautiful Day!

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails