SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, February 07, 2009

A PAIN IN THE NECK

Have you ever tried to watch a hockey game with a stiff neck? On Thursday, January 29th, I woke up feeling a bit tender in the area behind my left ear. By the afternoon my neck started to hurt when I turned my head. It was not painful, just annoying as I had to remember to turn slowly and with the whole body, not just my little head. My husband said that I probably pulled a muscle or needed a new pillow. The next day, Friday, I was really a "stiff-necked" :)
Well, no little pain in the neck was going to keep me from going to the Blues v. Flyers game on Saturday, January 31st. The Blues played really well and won a shutout 4-0 over the Flyers. There were fights in all three periods. At one point there were seven players from both teams combined got penalties for hooking, slashing, interference, boarding, so crowded that there were not enough seats in the penalty box. Watching any sport events with a stiff neck is difficult, talk about a fast game like hockey required special skills. I lived up to my reputation as a hockey junkie, holding my neck with my left hand, coordinated head and body and synchronized my movements as the players skated up and down, from side to side, passing the puck. I was able to follow the speed of the game and knew exactly where the puck was from one end of the ice to the other.
Superbowl XLIII was on Sunday, February 1st. On Saturday, January 24th, I went to a Kentucky Fried Chicken on Main Street to get the hot wings for lunch. While waiting for the order, I saw the above machine with all 32 NFL toy helmets. It costs 50 cents for each toy. I put two quarters in the slot, turned the knob (thinking in my little head whichever team/helmet comes out will win the Superbowl), a helmet fell down, I picked it up and it was the Steelers (photo below)! I quietly put the helmet in my pocket and did not tell anyone, not even my husband. After the Steelers won the game, I told CP about the machine, showed him the toy helmet and we both thought I should have placed some bets. We also thought it would have been a good but cruel joke if I got a toy helmet of the Detroit Lions for the same question/prediction of which team would win the Superbowl Championship!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails