SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Monday, September 21, 2009

HUMOR OF THE WEEK - MEN AT WORK IN NEW YORK CITY

Twenty years later, this corner of Lexington and 68th Street, still looks exactly the same as when I last saw it in 1989. I remembered passing this orange cone marking some kind of sewer utility work being done here. When I made a visit last May to Hunter College, my alma mater, I looked at the orange cone and thought of all those years rushing to evening classes after my full time job and then running down the stairs trying to catch the train at 9:45 p.m. The same corner, the same orange cone, without anyone around actually doing any work - exactly the same as it was in 1989.
I wish I could ask these "Lady Liberty" why they stood so close in this particular corner at Battery Park. Would it make more sense for one of them to take up a spot at another corner for maximum exposure? It seems that most of the living statues are performed by men since they could "hold" better than women. I snapped a quick photo and moved away before the "Lady" had a chance to demand a fee.
The man in the orange vest (photo above) looked like he was guarding someone working underground or just making sure no one walked right into the hole while busy texting. The same for the construction workers (photo below) as they must be either on their coffee break or waiting for materials to be delivered. In a city where people are constantly rushing and moving at high speed, there are many that stood still as if in suspended state. In a crowded street, I like to step aside and watch others rushing by and those who took their time walking as if refusing to get on the roller coaster of city living.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails