SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Saturday, February 20, 2010

DEEP THOUGHTS (WHAT ON EARTH AM I HERE FOR?)

I saw the above sign, "40 Days of Purpose" with the question, "What on earth am I here for?", while walking around Cayman Islands. I was there in March 2006 and the question was posted as a call to real conversion and spiritual renewal during Lenten Season at Elmslie Memorial United Church (Presbyterian/ Congregational/Disciples), Established 1846. I found that it was ironic to see this sign here in Cayman Islands, a place well-known for offshore accounts, money laundering, tax havens for individuals who don't believe in paying taxes. I wonder how many people, mostly tourists who walked around the Islands seeking pleasure and sinful gratifications, would even notice the sign. Those who saw the sign, myself included, would anyone even take the time to reflect on the answer to such question? Days after days, we get up in the morning, going thru the routines to get ready getting to our workplaces. Do you look around at the people you work with and what's on your desk/computer, and ask "Is there something more?"? At the end of the day, when you leave the office, after wasted 8+ hours of your life, is there peace in your heart or a sense of fulfillment that your work has created some good? Is there a higher good or a calling to serve others? So many times when I sat in meetings, listening to the discussions, I wanted to ask the questions, "Is that all you people care about, making more money, how to get what you want and the hell with everyone else? How do you justify the company paying a few hundred dollars on a round of golf for a few directors and then taking away someone wages, who really needed the money to feed his family, just to save a few dollars? YOU LIED! Sure, you talk about CEOs who received big bonus and called them greedy, you yourself are as greedy when you gave yourself year-end bonus and then slashed the employee's salary by 25%. YOU LIED! Is the only way you feel better about yourself by degrading others and constantly making demeaning comments?"

I have been asking myself these questions, "Do you do work that is meaningful, work that has a purpose, work that bring comfort and care to others, work that bring greater good to society? Do you worry about your investment more than losing your soul to the devils? How big are your suitcases to pack all your earthly possessions when the time come?" I actually know the answers but I don't want to admit that I knew what I should do. Just like the rich man who heard what Jesus says, "If you want to be perfect, then go and sell your possessions and give the money to the poor. If you do this, you will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow me.", but the rich man could not give up his wealth. "Amen, I say to you that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God" Matthew 19:21-23.

Would you like to share your answers to the question, "What on earth am I here for?"?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails