SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

MORE DEEP THOUGHTS - BE ANXIOUS OVER NOTHING

I see the above sign on my way to work, "To be Anxious over Nothing, Pray over Everything". This is not my parish and I could not tell you what this Taiwanese Presbyterian Church of Greater St. Louis looks inside. I am sure it is beautiful and anyone is welcome to worship there. I am not sure if the service is entirely in Taiwanese or with some English.

Early last year, my husband was among the workforce reduction (a nicer term for unemployed people who were laid-off by the company) for about six months. I tried to be encouraging and told my husband that I understood how hard it would be for someone who has over 25 years of experience in design and pre-production engineering quality controlled to find suitable employment. Potential employers would say that CP was over-qualified and that he would not stay long even if he was willing to accept cut-back on salary. We discussed and agreed that we did not wish to move, so re-location was not part of the game plan.

I also told CP not to worry even if I lost my job because so many people that were (are) in worse situation. We are not the only one suffering. Almost everyone in the country has been negatively impacted. I feel sorry for family with small children and only one parent working. With a few dollars saved, we should be able to weather the storm. I thought if we both were unemployed, even with limited budget, it would be an opportunity to enjoy our lives by travelling around the country. I tried to remember that when something bad happened, it might be a blessing because we never knew what would be waiting for us at the end of the road. If the Communists did not take over Sai Gon, if we did not get on that boat to escape from Viet Nam, we would never find freedom and liberty. If we did not live in the refugee camp, we would not appreciate all the blessings being in America. Whatever happens, nothing could compare to the boat journey, the refugee camp, the barriers we overcame the first few years in America.

After six months, CP went back to work on temporary assignments. It was anxious time because he was only informed each Thursday whether he would be working the following week. The company finally asked CP to work full time starting in mid-November. Fortunately, he would also have all his vacation and benefits back.

Whether you are a non-believer or a person of strong faith, I wish you peace and strength and I hope you will find a way to get over this difficult time.

A very strong wind came up on the lake. The waves came over the sides and into the boat so that is was already full of water. Jesus stood up and commanded the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind stopped and it became completely calm. Jesus said to his followers, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" Mark 4:37-40.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails