SUMMER TIME

SUMMER TIME

Friday, February 10, 2012

FRIDAY SKY - THE BUTTERFLY HOUSE

This week the Butterfly House closed for a few days for maintenance and clean-up of the conservatory. The trees are overgrown, covering the glass ceiling, blocking sunlight and most of the plants needed to be replaced.
There are approximately 1,500 to 2,000 butterflies in free flight inside the conservatory. All the butterflies arrive in the chrysalis stage from different farms in Ecuador, Suriname, Costa Rica, Malaysia and the Philippines. I was surprised to learn that the chrysalis are shipped in FedEx packages. They must have special materials for this kind of transporting. Once the butterflies emerge from the chrysalis and ready to fly, they are released inside the conservatory. I often wonder whether these butterflies know that there is a much bigger world out there beyond the glass ceiling. Do they see the cloud and wish they could fly up high in the open sky?
I am very thankful that I turned 51 years old this month. I don't mind getting older because the other option is not very desirable. Being 51 years old is a gift from God because there were many times in my life it could have been differently. I was 18 years old when my family escaped from Viet Nam, I did not know we would survived the horrid journey and living in America for my 20th birthday. I did not know that I would see my 30th birthday when I drove next to the 18-wheeler on the icy road during those years living in Michigan. It was a painful year when turned 40 because I lost my father that year. I am grateful that I am getting older and I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails